Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Day Fail


We (the Americans) decided to celebrate Thanksgiving this year in Moscow by inviting over all our friends from Russia and other countries to enjoy some of the foods we were missing the most from back home. Sadly, I was unable to join them for the festivities. Why? Well, let me back up and set the scene for you first…

About two weeks ago I was at the dorm where our Thanksgiving merry making was going to be held with some friends and it was getting close to 11pm, which is when they ask guests to leave. Me, being the kind of guy I am, thought to myself, “forget that, I’m a grown man, I’ll stay as late as please,” and proceeded to do exactly that. The administrator came by twice looking for me and I hid on the porch while Anton explained that he had no idea where I was (thanks for that buddy). By the time 1am rolled around I decided I was ready to leave, and as I opened the door into the hallway I practically stepped on the administrator who had come up to Anton’s room for a third time to ask if he knew where I was.

Needless to say, she was more than a little pissed.

They tossed me out of the dorm, which was cool, I was leaving anyway, and yelled a lot of things at me in Russian that I could only assume were expletives. I got home, went to bed and didn’t think much of it after that.

Fast forward to this Sunday, I had just finished visiting a very cool exhibit on sustainable city development with my friend Sasha that was all in Russian and I actually felt like I understood with his help (his English is about as good as my Russian and we talk almost entirely in Russian, so this still required some work on my part), we went to the dorm, and as I was trying to sign in the guard told me to leave. A little confused I asked why, and he pointed to a piece of paper on the wall, which, if my translation is accurate said, “If you see some American clown with the goofy name ‘Тайлер Джоунс’ be sure to kick his ass to the curb.” That’s how my name translates phonetically, for those of you who were curious to know that information, which I’m sure is all of you.

After trying to explain to him that I just wanted to eat with my friends, and then trying to sneak in, which almost worked, I was forced to wait down in the guard’s office while dinner was being cooked. Anton brought me down a plate of food and some wine to enjoy in front of the guard. I was sure to eat it as loudly as possible and look like it was easily the greatest meal ever crafted on this planet in an attempt to make the guard jealous. I’m sure he probably couldn’t have cared less, but it made me feel better.

Anyway, that’s what Thanksgiving looked like this year: me sitting in a guard office eating turkey and cranberry sauce, drinking wine out of a plastic cup (because I’m a classy gentleman), and trying my hardest to make the guard feel as uncomfortable as possible.

But now for some important business: Things I’m thankful for

My parents who have been nothing but supportive and loving
My friends here and back home who I love dearly
All the teachers I’ve had that have helped me reach my goals
Eddie’s cranberry sauce, because it was like happiness in my mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment